The Veil Brewing Company – co-founded by Matt Tarpey, Dustin Durrance, and Dave Michelow – is an impressive brewery and taproom in Richmond. It houses one of America’s only 40 koelschip, a classic Dutch fermentation system with a capacity to hold 450-gallons.
The snazzy-looking seating area for the brewery is donned with provocative visuals designed by local designers and artists. Tarpey has intended for The Veil Brewing Co. to be a visual experience for incoming customers, and he doesn’t disappoint. The walls of the brewery have been faux-cemented by Stephanie Green Van Buren, and the logo was put together by local illustrator Tim Skirven of Skirven & Croft.
The site of the brewery was formerly a church, which was demolished to make way for The Veil Brewing Company. The company’s partners have designed themselves an attractive brewery with a capacity to seat around 90 people comfortably.
The brewery’s interiors are characterized by imposing stone, black leather, white taxidermy, and high ceilings. To the center of the brewery’s tasting room is an impressive 40 foot long cement bar, furnished with an ADA-compliant section.
The Veil Brewing Co. wants to serve up a quality experiential tasting room experience and succeeds admirably in doing so. The brewery is located at 1301 Roseneath Rd, Richmond, Virginia and open to the public Tuesdays through Sundays.
Food is not made available in-house, but you can purchase food from the daily rotating food vendors allowed on-premises. The family-friendly brewery and taproom provide beer on tap for consumption at the venue and in cans/bottles to carry home. It emits a modern and industrial vibe, with seating made available outdoors in addition to the inside.
Beers Available on Tap
When you visit The Veil Brewing Co., Richmond, you will be able to sample some of the following brews within the premises:
- Strength in Solitude: Red Ale with 5.5% ABV, contains flavors of caramel and biscuit, with slight European hopping
- Pinkmiata: IPA with 6% ABV, brewed with Nelson and Galaxy hops, will remind you of freshly canned tropical fruit juice
- Mindzoomz: Double IPA with 8% ABV, brewed in collaboration with Fontaflora Brew and made of Carolina gold rice and Virginia wildflower honey and hopped with Simcoe, Citra, Cascade, and El Dorado hops
- Velvet River: Barleywine collaboration brew with 10.5% ABV, in association with Fontaflora Brew, Ugandan vanilla, nutmeg, and rye raisin bread provide fruitcake, cotton candy, and old world bread flavors to this heady beer
- DirtyFerrari: Double IPA with 8% ABV, brewed with Citra, Galaxy, Mosaic and Nelson hops, notes of candy, cantaloupe and papaya
- Incredible Fantastic Mega Tastee: Imperial Smoothie style Sour Ale with 8% ABV, brewed with generous amounts of milk sugar, coconut, honey, peach, mango, and blackberry purees
- No More Flowers: Kolsch-inspired beer with 5.2% ABV, finishes clean and crisp, contains gentle hopping by German Tettnang
Bottled/Canned Beer Inventory List at The Veil Brewing Company
You can also choose to purchase The Veil Brewing Co.’s beers in canned/bottled form. You can pick from:
- Petalz Orangeberry: Farmhouse Ale with 5% ABV, brewed in collaboration with Jester King Brewery, the last of the Petalz series, with Texas raw wheat, spelt and aged whole leaf hops, and Virginia corn grits
- Power On: IPA with 6% ABV, brewed with Sabro, Citra, and Motueka hops, flavor notes of grapefruit, coconut, and lime
- Culminate: Spontaneously fermented Lambic-inspired ale with 6% ABV, designed after Belgian Gueuze, Turbic mash of Pilsner malt and unmalted wheat, strong and complex beer with bright citrusy, cheesy hop, slight oak, and zesty fruit flavor
- Stay Hydrate: IPA 6% ABV, flavor notes of honey and orange blossom, hopped with Citra, Motueka, Galaxy, and Wataku hops
- Tefnut (Blueberry Muffin): Fruit beer with 11% ABV, brewed in collaboration with Omnipollo with milk sugar, vanilla, and blueberries
- Baked Apple Pie Hornswoggler: Chocolate milk stout with 7% ABV, tastes like your favorite preparation of apple pie topped off with a dollop of chocolate
- Earthtone: Bock Inspired Festbier with 5.4% ABV, brewed in collaboration with Richmond Breweries United and dedicated to the legacy of Garden Grove master brewer, Michael Brandt
Host Your Event at The Veil Brewing Company
The Veil Brewing Co. rents out its private tasting room for private events. You can request for the 800 sq ft private space conjoining the main tasting room to be rented out to host guests for your birthday, baby shower, or business networking events. The room can comfortably accommodate 50 guests in total, who you can extend the Veil Brewing Co. experience to. Visit their official website for any inquiries.
Is The Veil Brewing Co. Really Worth the Hype?
Customers find the extensive seating space made available comfortable and accommodating. Patrons also like how efficiently customer requests are managed at the brewery and taproom. The Veil Brewing Co. can get crowded, but the long queues are always fast-moving, and you will never have to wait around too long for a taste of that special brew.
Collaborative beers designed by The Veil Brewing Co. have their own unique charm and are a must-try. All in all, the brewery provides for an inexhaustive list of beers on their menu, which is gratifying. You can take your pick from their famous ales or their equally delicious stouts. The staff at work here is friendly and welcoming and always ready to address any of your queries.
If you are confused about which beer to offer, you can simply sample through their offerings for free. Besides the food vendors made available outside, light snacks are sold at the taproom itself.
The crowd gathered at The Veil Brewing Co. makes its atmosphere and is well appreciated by visitors to this brewery. The Hazy IPAs here come much recommended, but the sours and frozen beers too are worthy contenders for your time.
If the beers at The Veil Brewing Co. have satisfied you, you can purchase their merchandise from the website to flash your loyalty with pride. The Veil Brewing Co. can be reached at 804-355-5515 on the phone and will be happy to answer any questions you may have for them.