Equilibrium Brewery in Middletown, New York is an experimental brewery offering customers with flavorful craft beer produced with the help of research and inspiration. They put special focus on drinkability and source all their ingredients from local producers, ensuring only the freshest ingredients go into their beer.
All beers served by the Equilibrium Brewery are unpasteurized and unfiltered, allowing the brew to evolve and take on new dynamics with time. A certain place or experience inspires every beer brewed at this brewery.
Founded by Ricardo Petroni and Peter Oates, both graduates in environmental engineering from MIT, science plays a dominant role in the process used to brew beer at Equilibrium. At Equilibrium Brewery, you can expect beer that’s easy to drink but nonetheless packs ample body. The dark stouts and IPAs made available by Equilibrium Brewery will not deter you, the drinker, from taking your next sip owing to the inherent bitterness of these brews.
Petroni and Oates were employed at an engineering firm when they both discovered their shared passion for homebrewing. The result was the Equilibrium Brewery, which opened doors in 2013. An ancient rundown meatpacking facility in Middletown was converted into the premises, and the rest, as they say, is history.
It took them three years in the brewery, experimenting with combinations of different hops, malts, yeasts, and temperatures to introduce their first seven beers. The beers made available at this time were: Equilibrium’s first sour, There and Back Again; Fractal Mosaic, belonging to their Small Batch Research Series; and American Pale Ales, Photon, Mmm…osa, and MC2 – all brewed in the facility’s 20-barrel system. Equilibrium Brewery continues to serve a selection of even beers on tap on a rotational basis.
Equilibrium Brewery Beer Menu
Currently, Equilibrium Brewery serves the following beers:
- 2Sigma: Triple IPA with 10.2% ABV. Creamy soft mouthfeel combines with hazy yellow color and tropical fruit flavors in this delicious ale. You can get a 4 ounce or 8 ounce pour.
- Harvest of Simcoe (02/20): Imperial IPA with 8.8% ABV. Fruity beer that finishes with notes of bread. Creamy with firm and well-rounded bitter finish. Grab a 4 ounce or 12 ounce draft.
- Dream Wave Fluctuation (02/20): Imperial IPA with 8.1% ABV. The first lactose beer manufactured by Equilibrium Brewery, a balanced flavorful beer dry-hopped with Citra and Galaxy provides an incredibly juicy finish. Pour yourself a 4 ounce or 12 ounce of this brew.
- Super Fractal Koru Set: Triple IPA with 10% ABV. Brewed with hops sourced exclusively from New Zealand, the hazy yellow beer provides ample tropical and citrusy flavor and aroma. Available in 4 ounce and 8 ounce quantities.
- South St. Pils: Equilibrium Brewery Pilsner with 5.5% ABV content. Made available in 12 ounce and 18 ounce drafts.
- Wavelength: American IPA with 6.5% ABV. Beer brewed with oats and white wheat, hopped with Mosaic and Citra. Bright yellow American ale with citrusy aroma and flavors of berry and mango. Pour yourself a 4 ounce or 12 ounce drink.
- Energy Equals: Double IPA with 8% ABV. Bright and light-bodied brew with intense flavors of citrus, apricot, mango, and pineapple. Available in 4 ounce and 12 ounce quantities.
Bottled and Canned Beer Availability
- Harvester of Simcoe: 16 ounce can four pack
- BA Austin Sauvignon Blanc: Dry and soft farmhouse ale with 6.5% ABV. Available in 375 milliliter bottles.
- Unlikely Foragers: Equilibrium Brewery’s first Saison with 6% ABV. Brewed in collaboration with the local beer community with Equilibrium’s farmhouse culture and dandelions. Bottle conditioned for months, this beer appears deep golden and contains a light head. You will find aroma notes of dandelion, lemon, light funk, and even hay. Dry tasting brew with a subtle tart flavor. Pick yourself a 750 milliliter bottle to go.
- Energy Equals: 16 ounce can four pack
- South St. Pils: 16 ounce can four pack
- Dream Wave Fluctuation
All New Food Program to Cater to Your Hunger
Equilibrium Brewery, located at 2-8 South St, Middletown, NY 10940, has opened its own food program on the premises very recently. The brewery would worth with Pete’s BBQ in the past and has honored this collaboration in its new venture too.
Come and experience live-fire cooking that includes smoking techniques learned by Pete in his over six years spent exploring Central Texas BBQ in Austin. You can taste the best of local cheese, vegetables, and meat barbecued at the food program hosted by Equilibrium Brewery with your refreshing pour of in-house ale. Definitely, not an experience you would like to miss out on.
The brewery is open all days of the week. You can call 845-956-0211 for any queries while planning your visit. On Equilibrium Brewery’s official website, you can read up on their live events schedule.
Why Visit the Equilibrium Brewery?
The Equilibrium Brewery promises a wholesome craft beer experience in New York, with a variety of brews available on tap to choose from and an extensive food offering to take care of your hunger pangs. It is airy and spacious and provides a beautiful ambiance for drinking your craft ale. Plenty of seating options are made available for the customer, both inside and outside.
If you’re with friends for a taste of EQ’s legendary beer, you could try your hand at the darts game pinned up while you wait for your next round. The staff is attentive and quite friendly. So visiting alone will not be lonesome either.
Equilibrium was formerly known for its hazy IPAs and delicious sours, but with the food program opening up, customers vouch that it will soon be known for its expertly barbecued ribs and briskets too. Affordable and shareable plates of grilled meat to accompany your IPAs sure sounds like a beer drinker’s dream.
Equilibrium Brewery also sells merchandise, so you can show off your loyalty to the brewery by picking up a few items. New can releases are held every Saturday, so if you’ve already visited EQ and would like to be the first to break the news of their next mindblowing release to your friends, you know when to visit.